Saturday, January 31, 2015

Mussar: iThink - I'll Take the Next Step (Avos 1:13)

Rav Hutt

Most grand ballrooms are preceded by a sizable corridor whose elegance conveys a place of prominence.  However the sole existence of that hallway is to facilitate the entrance to and experience of the magnificent room.  In our Divine Jewish tradition, the belief of the spirit-only afterlife is an essential factor.  Chazal relate that the physical world is analogous to the antechamber, and the world to come is like the royal palace in which Hashem's presence clearly radiates.  With this foundation, it becomes evident that just like a hallway is a place of forward motion – not stagnation – so too my role in this world is to progress and prepare myself for a non-Earthly existence.  Regardless of where I perceive myself to be currently standing in the corridor of life, if today I take just one baby-step forward in the direction of spirituality, it will be one small step for man; one giant leap for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment