Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Understanding Tefilah #2: Mizmor Shir Channukat HaBayit L’Dovid, Part II

Rav Lessin

“Aromimcha Hashem ki Dilitani, V’lo Simachta Oyvai Li.”  

3 short points to remember:

  1. “Dilitani” is a unique way of saying that Hashem has saved me.  It comes from the word “dli,” which means “bucket.”  We say here that Hashem has drawn me up the same way a bucket draws water from a well.  One who finds himself in a well knows clearly that his salvation must come from above.  So too, Dovid acknowledges that he was helped from above, not from natural means in this world (Rav Hirsch).
  2. “Aromimcha” is our pledge to elevate Hashem.  How does one elevate Hashem, who is already the most elevated of all beings?  Answer: Elevating Hashem means to hold Him up as the highest value in our lives, to live in a way that proclaims His greatness.  When we do that, He is elevated, because there is a more Hashem-awareness in the world.  We do this not only through what we say, but also in how we act.  To live with Hashem as the highest priority means to place Him as the central focus of everything we do.
  3. “ki” is the link between what Hashem has done for us, and what we commit to do for Hashem.  “ki” connotes causality, meaning that since it is clear to me that Hashem has saved me, I therefore feel indebted to Him.  The only thing I can do to “pay Him back” is to increase an awareness of Hashem in my life and in the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment