Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mussar: IThink - It's Not Me (Avos 2:6)

Rav Binyamin Hutt

Image is everything.  Often times the greatest impediment to accomplishment is ourselves.  Ambitious thoughts of integrity, chivalry, and benevolence occasionally visit our mind, and are then tragically expelled to the tune of, "but that's not me."  I should drive back to the store to return the extra change, but that's not me.  I should wait to start eating until everyone is seated at the table, but that's not me.  I should give more money to charity instead of taking an even more exotic vacation, but that's not me.  Nonetheless, with a little bit of honesty and an abundant amount of courage, we can cast off our underdeveloped self image, to find the righteous, polite, generous 'me,' that is waiting to thrive.  Perception is reality, but the reality must accurately be perceived.

No comments:

Post a Comment