Tuesday, October 27, 2015

iThink - It's Your Honor (Avos 2:15)

Rav Binyamin Hutt

At times, it seems to me that a thoughtfully chosen gift is a magnanimous gesture of consideration, worthy of abundant praise and gratitude. Why then in other instances do I think that a sincere yet simple, "Thank you," should suffice for a thoughtful birthday gift received?  How could one person experience such a variance of responses?  There is an easy resolution to this apparent inconsistency.  In the first scenario, I am the giver who tends to focus on my honor.  When the honor is due to me, I see no limit to the extent of praise possible to be given by another.  However, when I am the recipient – even in a completely parallel act of kindness – as in the second case, my tendency is to be far more sparing when considering and articulating the generosity of others.  Hopefully next time I have the opportunity to express gratitude, defend the reputation, or praise the achievements of my fellow, I shall pause to consider that his honor is just as valuable as mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment